This Morning’s Bulletin — 3.8.21
• Today will be sunny, with a high temperature near 38 degrees but wind chill values between 10 and 20, with a northwest wind 7 to 10 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 30. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 51 and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 54.
• Riverhead Town released its police reform plan on Friday, March 5, in anticipation of a public hearing to be held at the town board’s March 16 meeting at 2 p.m. Here’s the draft. Southold’s plan was also released last week and can be viewed online here. We’ll have more details this week.
• Suffolk County reported 618 new cases of Covid-19 on March 6, with 4.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 372 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 89 of them in ICU and 27 percent of hospital beds available. The county reported five new fatalities from the virus on March 6, bringing the death toll here to 3,125 people.
• The new Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine is making its way out to the East End this week — the vaccine will be distributed at two fully booked vaccine clinics at Stony Brook Eastern Long Island Hospital in Greenport Tuesday and Wednesday, and we’re expecting to hear more details about upcoming clinics shortly. Waitlist appointments at ELIH this week may be available here. Stay tuned.
• Beacon editor Beth Young was a guest on this weekend’s “Behind the Headlines” on 88.3 WLIW FM, discussing the current state of vaccine distribution on the East End and oyster farms. Here’s where you can check out the episode.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:42 a.m., 6:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:50 a.m., 5:21 p.m.
Greenport: 6:19 a.m., 6:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:01 a.m., 7:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:14 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:41 a.m., 8:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:48 a.m., 8:19 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:36 a.m., 5:12 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:45 a.m., 3:21 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:42 a.m., 7:07 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:50 a.m., 6:15 p.m.
Greenport: 7:19 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:05 a.m., 8:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:14 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:41 a.m., 9:06 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:48 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:42 a.m., 6:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:51 a.m., 4:25 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.