Pictured Above: In the fog, Sunday.
• Thunderstorms are lighting up the skies here this morning, with heavy rainstorms continuing through 8 a.m., when we’re expecting the fog to begin lifting. Showers are likely to continue until around 11 a.m., with a high temperature today near 63 degrees, with the wind out of the southwest at 16 to 24 miles per hour, gusting as high as 34. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 39. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 59 and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 57.
• As farmers on the East End begin to harrow their fields this spring, they’re following a career path and a human tradition dating back to the beginning of civilization. Because of the nature of their work, they see things many of us whose daily routine involves an office and a desk will never see. Read this month’s editorial, Keeping Farmers from Going Extinct.
• We received numerous letters to the editor this past week on the state of alternative energy on Long Island. Here are some highlights.
• OLA of Eastern Long Island’s annual Pachanga — a party celebrating Latin music and community, will be held this coming Friday, April 19 at Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor. Tickets are $20. More details are online here.
• Earth Day is on the horizon — this year it’s officially on Monday, April 22, but most East End celebrations, including a 5K run, film screenings and open houses at nature organizations throughout the region, will be held on the weekend of April 27-28. Here are our Earth Day event listings.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:02 a.m., 7:29 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:10 a.m., 6:37 p.m.
Greenport: 7:39 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:26 a.m., 9 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:34 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:01 a.m., 9:28 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:08 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:56 a.m., 6:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:05 a.m., 4:50 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:57 a.m., 8:19 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:05 a.m., 7:27 p.m.
Greenport: 8:34 a.m., 8:56 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:26 a.m., 9:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:29 a.m., 8:51 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:56 a.m., 10:18 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:03 a.m., 10:25 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:09 a.m., 5:48 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.