• We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm today, mainly before 5 p.m., with a southeast wind 25 to 31 miles per hour, gusting to 43 and a high near 57 degrees. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches are possible. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers tonight, mainly before 8 p.m. but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Tuesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 50 and a 20 percent chance of afternoon showers. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 53.
• There was only one opioid overdose in Southampton Town in the first quarter of 2018, down from seven in the first quarter of 2017, but the town’s Opioid Addiction Task Force knows there’s still much more to do to keep the community safe from this national scourge. Read our full report on the task force’s most recent forum here.
• The Suffolk County Legislature’s Superstorm Sandy Review Task Force is holding a public hearing at Southampton Town Hall on Wednesday, April 18 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. and is welcoming anyone affected by the storm or who would like to share a story or solution to testify. The personal stories brought forth at the public hearing will provide valuable input to the task force, which is working to make recommendations on how to improve Suffolk’s storm response.
• The Long Island Food Council, a networking and educational organization created to support the growth of the food industry on the island, is expanding its reach with an inaugural East End event, to be held at the Hotel Indigo in Riverhead this Friday, April 20. More details are online here.
• Earth Day is this coming weekend, and the East End is chock full of events, from running races to hikes, film screenings to beach cleanups and forums on climate change and the environment. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:54 a.m., 11:07 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:02 a.m., 10:15 p.m.
Greenport: 11:31 a.m., 11:44 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: Midnight, 12:28 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:26 a.m., 11:39 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:27 a.m., 12:53 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:34 a.m., 1 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:08 a.m., 8:23 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:37 a.m., 11:50 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:45 a.m., 10:58 p.m.
Greenport: 12:14 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:41 a.m., 1:12 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:09 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:06 a.m., 1:36 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:13 a.m., 1:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:51 a.m., 9:04 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.