• Today will start out partly sunny, then gradually become sunny, with a high near 57 degrees and a north wind 5 to 7 miles per hour. We’re expecting patchy frost between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m., but otherwise it will be mostly clear, with a low around 33. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 57. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers before 1 p.m. Friday, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 57.
• East Hampton Town has been designated a Climate Smart Community through the Climate Smart Community Program, becoming the seventh community in New York State to receive this designation. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The community of Riverside is the recipient of two new programs to help with revitalization efforts. The first is a joint effort with Riverhead Town called the Peconic River Community Development Alliance, which has received a $20,000 grant to hire a community organizer to put together events bringing together the communities on both sides of the river. The second is a monthly grant program through Riverside Rediscovered called Riverside Five, aimed at supporting community-centered events. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Tonight at 7:30 pm is the first joint community meeting between FRNCA, Bay View Pines, Waters Edge and the Flanders, Riverside, Northampton CAC, to be held at the David W. Crohan Community Center on Flanders Road, after the numerous community groups in the area decided to band together for group meetings. The groups will hear presentations from the Riverhead School District, the Flanders-Northampton Volunteer Ambulance Corps and owners of the Brewster House. More information is online here.
• Novelist Erica Jong’s newest novel is “Fear of Dying,” a riff on the title of her most popular novel, “Fear of Flying.” Ms. Jong will be speaking at Writers Speak Wednesdays at 7 p.m. tonight, April 27 at Stony Brook Southampton. More information is online here. [Free]
• The Southampton Historical Museum takes a stroll down memory lane tomorrow morning, April 28 at 11 a.m., as three now-retired longtime Southampton teachers talk about school days in simpler times. More information is online here.
• Community Action Southold Town (CAST) will host a food drive this Saturday, April 30 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Volunteers will be collecting food outside of Greenport IGA, Southold IGA, Cutchogue King Kullen, and Mattituck Marketplace (formerly Waldbaum’s).
• The Flanders Fire Department will hold their annual Memorial Service this Sunday, May 1 at 10 a.m. at the Fireman’s Park on Flanders Road. All are welcome to attend to pay tribute to departed firefighters and service members from Flanders. More information is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.