Pictured above: Submariners from the U.S. Submarine Veterans L.I. Base gathered at New Suffolk Beach on Sunday, April 28 for a ceremony honoring their fallen comrades on the 119th Anniversary of the founding of the first U.S. submarine base in the country at New Suffolk on April 11, 1900.
• We’re expecting increasing clouds throughout the day today, with a high near 55 degrees and a north wind 7 to 10 miles per hour, becoming south in the afternoon. We’re expecting light rain overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 44. Light rain is likely on Tuesday, with cloudy skies and a high near 59. There’s a 30 percent chance of afternoon showers on Wednesday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 55.
• Many Southampton Town property owners were in shock this past week after opening their annual tax assessment notification and discovering that their home’s assessed value has changed dramatically. Get more details on what this could mean for your taxes online here.
• On this Thursday, May 2 at 6:30 p.m., Special Guest Speaker James Bunchuck will discuss Waste Management and Recycling in Southold Town at a special meeting of the North Fork Environmental Council and North Fork Audubon Society’s Plastic Reduction and Elimination Project of the North Fork at the Peconic Lane Community Center, 1170 Peconic Lane in Peconic. All are welcome to attend.
• The Southold Sunshine Society is holding its annual “Name Your Game” sandwich luncheon, along with an afternoon of game playing, on Monday, May 6 from Noon to 3 p.m. at The Wharf House at Founder’s Landing, 1025 Terry Lane in Southold. More details are online here.
• Today is the last day to subscribe to our print edition to receive the May issue in the mail. You’ll read many of these stories in print before you find them here, and you’ll be doing a great deal to help support our mission going forward. You can subscribe to the print edition online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:58 a.m., 7:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:06 a.m., 6:33 p.m.
Greenport: 7:35 a.m., 8:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:14 a.m., 8:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:30 a.m., 7:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:57 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:04 a.m., 9:31 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:39 a.m., 6:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:48 a.m., 4:27 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:45 a.m., 8:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:53 a.m., 7:16 p.m.
Greenport: 8:22 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:05 a.m., 9:28 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:17 a.m., 8:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:44 a.m., 10:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:51 a.m., 10:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:34 a.m., 7:07 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:43 a.m., 5:16 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.