• We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm today, with a high near 68. Showers are likely to continue this evening, with a low tonight around 52. Skies will clear on Friday, with a high near 66. We’re expecting sunny skies on Saturday, with a high near 62.
• The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation did its first woodland prescribed burn on Long Island since 2007 in Rocky Point on April 20, as part of a project to determine how best to manage Long Island’s pine barrens ecosystem. Here’s our full story.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss the town’s 2022 reassessment, parking at Sagg Main Beach, a proposal for an outdoor squash program and an update on Covid at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, and the meeting can be viewed live here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss Riverhead CAP’s take on marijuana legalization — Riverhead CAP is the backbone of the Riverhead School District’s anti-drug programs, an update on the pattern book for development downtown, capital improvement projects and a possible motorsports exhibition at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, and here’s where to view the meeting live.
• The First Universalist Church of Southold will hold a Virtual Spring Art Festival via Zoom on Thursday, May 6 at 7 p.m. Here are more details.
• Suffolk County reported 230 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, April 27, with 2.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 228 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 59 of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality, bringing the death toll here to 3,341 people. On the vaccine front, 44.7 percent of county residents had received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine as of Wednesday, with 31.7 percent of residents full vaccinated.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:20 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:28 a.m., 11:48 p.m.
Greenport: 12:23 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:21 a.m., 1:57 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:18 a.m., 12:52 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:45 a.m., 2:19 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:52 a.m., 2:26 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:32 a.m., 11:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:41 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:40 a.m., 1:16 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:24 p.m.
Greenport: 1:17 a.m., 1:53 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:13 a.m., 2:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:12 a.m., 1:48 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:39 a.m., 3:15 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:46 a.m., 3:22 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:30 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:39 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.