Channel return, Schoolhouse Creek
Channel return, Schoolhouse Creek

Good Morning!

Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 57 degrees and a northeast wind 8 to 10 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent chance of rain overnight, and then an 80 percent chance of rain Saturday, when the high will be near 54 degrees. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers Sunday, with a high near 61.

• Long Island’s projected peak energy use is plummeting, thanks to rooftop solar and energy efficiency measures, according to a report issued by the Long Island Power Authority and PSEG-Long Island in late April. Environmentalists are calling it a “bombshell report.” The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• This year’s Perennial of the Year, Asclepias tuberosa, is a great addition to any garden. Find out more about the plant known as “Butterfly Weed” in Susan Tito’s first column for us, “Gardenwise.”

• Riverhead’s 2017 Garden Festival continues through Mother’s Day from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on May 11-13 and and on Sunday, May 14 (Mother’s Day) from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Tanger Outlets Office Max parking lot on Route 5) in Riverhead. This huge plant, flower and shrub sale benefits Peconic Bay Medical Center, International Medical Mission Support and the Riverhead Rotary Club.

• The Marcus McLaurine Trio, Toby Altman and Mark Marino will perform a special free jazz concert at the Riverhead Free Library, 330 Court Street, this afternoon at 1:30 p.m. All are welcome to attend.

• Composers Chris Cerrone and Ian Rosenbaum will hold a special concert exploring the intersection of music and memory tonight at 7 p.m. the Jamesport Meeting House as part of the Rites of Spring Music Fest spring concert series. More details are online here. [$35]

• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend and in the weeks ahead. Find the details in our events calendar, online here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:<

May 12
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:50 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:58 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Greenport: 12:27 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:48 a.m., 1:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:22 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:16 a.m., 1:49 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:23 a.m., 1:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:59 a.m., 9:12 p.m.

May 13
Plum Gut Harbor: midnight, 12:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:43 a.m., 11:51 p.m.
Greenport: 12:37 a.m., 1:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:25 a.m., 1:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:32 a.m., 1:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:59 a.m., 2:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:06 a.m., 2:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:39 a.m., 9:48 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: