• Today will be sunny, with a high temperature near 67 degrees and a calm wind becoming northwest 5 to 7 miles per hour in the afternoon. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 46. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 70 and Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 70.
• Land preservation on the East End often involves vast swaths of farmland undulating as far as the eye can see, with a price tag commiserate with the acreage. But the scale of preservation isn’t the only thing that matters. Magic can happen when a group of neighbors bands together to protect a special place they love. Read our full story.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss possible town cannabis legislation, development of Parcel B of Southampton Youth Services and an update on the town’s response to Covid-19 at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, and here’s where to watch the meeting live.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss potential town cannabis legislation, beach passes for hotels and motels and the town’s April police report at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, and here’s how to view the meeting.
• Suffolk County reported 119 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, May 11, with 1.1 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 140 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 36 of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality on Tuesday, bringing the death toll here to 3,375 people.
• Hallockville Museum Farm’s Fiber Festival, a celebration of artisanal crafts and wool, with emonstrations, workshops and local artisans selling their handmade supplies and products, will be held this year — next Saturday, May 22 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. More info is online at hallockville.org
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:58 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:06 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Greenport: Midnight, 12:35 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:50 a.m., 1:26 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:30 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:22 a.m., 1:57 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:29 a.m., 2:04 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:57 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:06 a.m., 9:05 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:04 a.m., 12:42 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:50 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Greenport: 12:41 a.m., 1:19 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:27 a.m., 2:05 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:36 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:03 a.m., 2:41 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:10 a.m., 2:48 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:38 a.m., 11:28 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:47 a.m., 9:37 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.