Good Morning!

• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 61 degrees and a west wind 8 to 14 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 24. There’s a 50 percent chance of overnight showers, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 51. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 65 and a 20 percent chance of showers before 1 p.m. Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 65 and a 30 percent chance of showers after 2 p.m.

• Greenporter Eric Tonyes has found a community of sisters and brothers who share his commitment to music, and he’s started a new non-profit in service of the music community here.

• Daniel A. Grande, Ph.D. will explore the different types of stem cells, their biology and how they can be used in the field of regenerative medicine this afternoon at 4 p.m. in a special discussion at Peconic Landing in Greenport. More details are online here.

• Former Democratic National Committee Chairman and Vermont Governor Howard Dean will lead a non-partisan discussion on the upcoming 2020 elections this Thursday, May 16 at 4 p.m. Tickets are free but registration is required. More details are online here.

• The North Fork Plastic Reduction and Elimination Project hosts Writer, Artist and Scientist Erica Cirino speaking on “Exploring the Pacific Ocean and Beyond in Pursuit of Plastic:  Plastic Pollution, Science and Solutions” at the Peconic Lane Community Center, Friday, May 17 at 6:30 p.m. More details are online here.

• On Saturday, May 18 Mattituck American Legion along with the North Fork Girl Scouts will be placing flags on the graves of veterans in local cemeteries in Mattituck and Cutchogue, honoring these veterans who have served our country.  It will start at 10 a.m. with a brief ceremony at the American Legion Hall at 600 Wickham Avenue in Mattituck. If you have a veteran family member or friend and would like a flag placed on the grave site contact Mattituck American Legion at 6311.298.7825 or email Legion861@optimum.net. The public is invited and encouraged to join this event. A light lunch will be served at the Mattituck Legion Hall following the flag placements.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

May 15
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:37 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:45 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Greenport: 8:14 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:08 a.m., 9:34 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:09 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:36 a.m., 10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:43 a.m., 10:07 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:38 a.m., 7:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:47 a.m., 5:27 p.m.

May 16
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:28 a.m., 8:49 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:36 a.m., 7:57 p.m.
Greenport: 9:05 a.m., 9:26 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:04 a.m., 10:25 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9 a.m., 9:21 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:27 a.m., 10:48 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:34 a.m., 10:55 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:36 a.m., 8:09 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:45 a.m., 6:18 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: