• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers between 9 a.m. and noon today, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 64 degrees and a northeast wind 7 to 10 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 46. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 63 and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 67.
• Hot on the heals of the news from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control last week that mosquito, tick and flea bite-related illnesses had tripled in U.S. in the past 12 years, New York Senator Chuck Schumer urged the CDC to commit some of the department’s $900 million budget increase this year to help fight these so-called “vector-borne diseases.” The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Southold Sunshine Society, which provides assistance to people facing medical challenges, will hold a “Name Your Game” afternoon luncheon, with game-playing of your choice, this afternoon, May 7 from noon to 3 p.m. at Founder’s Landing in Southold. Tickets are $20 per person and reservations are required. Call Anne Swanson at 631.765.5735 for more details.
• Today is the deadline to register for Southold Town’s free Opioid Overdose Prevention Program NARCAN Training Class this Thursday, May 10 at 7 p.m. at the Peconic Recreation Center. More details are online here.
• Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County is inviting the public to the Tiana Bayside Marine Facility in Hampton Bays, next Saturday, May 12 for a free, fun, family-friendly “Open House + Community Stewardship Day.” More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:02 a.m., 4:45 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:10 a.m., 3:53 p.m.
Greenport: 4:39 a.m., 5:22 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:12 a.m., 5:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:34 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:01 a.m., 6:44 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:08 a.m., 6:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:56 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:02 a.m., 5:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:10 a.m., 4:51 p.m.
Greenport: 5:39 a.m., 6:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:08 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:34 a.m., 6:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:01 a.m., 7:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:08 a.m., 7:49 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:45 a.m., 2:27 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.