• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 76 degrees and a north wind 6 to 10 miles per hour, becoming east in the afternoon. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 54. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 69 and Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 72.
•The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is looking for public comment on its plan to fortify the revetment around the Montauk Lighthouse but if you have something to say, you’d better say it fast — the deadline for comments is this Friday, June 3. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone will unveil the new wastewater infrastructure upgrades at the Beach Hut at Meschutt County Park in Hampton Bays this afternoon. The upgrades were made due to a septic system failure at The Beach Hut in July 2015 and the park’s close proximity to surface waters. The newly installed advanced nitrogen removal wastewater treatment system cost approximately $300,000.
• Suffolk County Vector Control plans to spray the following East End areas with VectoBac larvicide between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. today: Jagger Lane, Meadow Lane and North Sea in Southampton Town, Napeague, Beach Hampton and Accabonac Harbor in East Hampton Town and New Suffolk in Southold Town. Riverhead is not on today’s spray schedule. For more information, contact Vector Control at 631.852.4270.
• Riverside Rediscoverd will hold their next monthly meet-up at the Riverwoods Mobile Home Park at 525 Riverleigh Avenue in Riverside tomorrow, Thursday, June 2 at 6:30 p.m., where the winner of the second of the group’s Riverside Five grants will be announced and attendees will have a chance to hear new grant proposals. All are welcome to attend. More information is online here.
• The Hampton Coffee Company is teaming up with the Southampton Town Youth Bureau for a Teen Open Mic Night this Friday, June 3 at 6:30 p.m. at the company’s Coffee Experience Store at 749 County Road 39A in Southampton (the former Mini Cooper dealership). This is the second time this year that Hampton Coffee has helped to sponsor this community event, and this time workers from The Retreat will also be on-hand to talk with the kids about healthy relationships. All are invited to attend.
• Today’s date (without the zeros) is a palindrome, if that’s of any use when you’re trying to think of something to say at the water cooler today. Also the East End Beacon turns three years old today! Here’s our first-ever story: http://www.eastendbeacon.com/2013/06/01/welcome-to-the-beacon/
Below are the high tides for today:
MTK Hbr: 6:07 a.m., 6:37 p.m.
Orient: 7:08 a.m., 7:38 p.m.
GPT: 7:36 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 7:31 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
S. JPT: 9:05 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 4:09 a.m., 4:44 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.