• We’re expecting rain before noon today, then a chance of rain and snow between noon and 3 p.m., then a chance of snow after 3 p.m., with a high near 37 degrees and an east wind around 11 miles per hour, becoming northwest in the afternoon. Skies will clear overnight, with a low around 20 degrees. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 34, and Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 38.
• The Southampton Town Opioid Addiction Task Force is holding a youth forum on helping students affected by the opioid crisis this evening, Jan. 17 at 5:30 p.m. at Kimisis Tis Theotokou Church, 111 St. Andrews Road in Southampton. More details are online here.
• “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” Three rather simple, yet resoundingly profound statements guided our columnist Dave Davis as he thought on the life of a departed friend while working on this month’s column, Our Unobstructed Light.
• The Riverhead Town Board has postponed their “qualified and eligible” public hearing originally planned for their meeting tonight on whether to sell a large swath of the Enterprise Park at Calverton to a new partnership formed by Luminati Aerospace. Town Supervisor Laura Jens-Smith suggested the hearing be postponed because the original partner in the project, Triple Five Ventures Co., LLC, has been replaced by another limited liability company, Triple Five Realty I, which is comprised of members of the same family, the Ghermezians. A new date has not yet been set.
• Ms. Jens-Smith also announced Tuesday that she will be the first Riverhead supervisor to opt out of having her name on town signs. “Our Riverhead signs are a nice way to welcome visitors to our town, beaches and parks. But it seems unnecessary to include the names of officials, especially when that money would better serve the community elsewhere,” said Ms. Jens-Smith.
• The North Fork Environmental Council will host guest speaker Lynn Arthur, Chair of the Southampton Town Energy Sustainability Sub-Committee, for a talk on reducing your energy costs at their monthly Speaker Series this Friday, Jan. 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the Jamesport Meeting House. All are welcome to attend.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:59 a.m., 10:26 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:07 a.m., 9:34 p.m.
Greenport: 10:36 a.m., 11:03 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:25 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:31 a.m., 10:58 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:58 a.m.
South Jamesport: 12:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:11 a.m., 7:35 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:40 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:48 a.m., 10:16 p.m.
Greenport: 11:17 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:02 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:12 a.m., 11:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:25 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:32 a.m., 12:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:47 a.m., 8:12 p.m.