• Today will be sunny, with a high near 40 degrees and a northwest wind 7 to 11 miles per hour. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 36, and Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 41.
• We’ve thought we’d seen a lot of ugly racist sentiment in this country in the past three years, but the quickening pace of antisemitic hate crimes in the New York area in the past several months has been a shock. Read February’s editorial here.
• Southampton Town is considering a new law that would prohibit the sale, distribution and release of balloons filled with any type of gas that is lighter than air, including helium, for private or public use, including, but not limited to: plastic, latex or mylar, and is conducting an online community survey on the proposal through Friday, Feb. 14 at 4 p.m. The town is urging members of the public to weigh in here.
• The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation is seeking local landowners’ cooperation in helping collect information on wild turkey numbers on Long Island, in order to develop additional management options for the flock. More details are online here.
• The East Hampton Town Anti-Bias Task Force and the East Hampton Library will present “A Driver’s License for All” Informational Forum tomorrow at the East Hampton Library from 6 to 7:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• The innovative artist Takeover! of Southampton Arts Center pioneered last winter is returning this weekend, with an opening of the exhibition of artists working in studio spaces within the museum this Saturday, Feb. 1 from 6 to 8 p.m. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:34 a.m., 12:51 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:59 a.m.
Greenport: 1:11 a.m., 1:28 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:56 a.m., 2:15 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:06 a.m., 1:23 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:33 a.m., 2:50 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:40 a.m., 2:57 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:54 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:03 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:21 a.m., 1:36 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:29 a.m., 12:44 p.m.
Greenport: 1:58 a.m., 2:13 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:37 a.m., 2:59 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:53 a.m., 2:08 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:20 a.m., 3:35 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:27 a.m., 3:42 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:24 a.m., 12:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:45 a.m., 11:14 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.