Good Morning!

• We’re expecting increasing clouds throughout the day today, with a high temperature near 64 degrees and a 30 percent chance of showers after 5 p.m., with a southeast wind around 10 miles per hour. There’s a 70 percent chance of overnight showers and thunderstorms, with cloudy skies and a low around 58. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 76. We’re expecting showers early Friday, with skies gradually becoming mostly sunny and a high near 73.

“• All Hands on Housing” may be the slogan for the East Hampton Town Board’s efforts to find affordable housing for local residents, but it’s also a pretty apropos slogan for efforts afoot this spring throughout the five East End towns, as they prepare for public ballot referendums on new Community Housing Funds, modeled after the Community Preservation Fund. Read our coverage.

• Suffolk County reported 198 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, May 30, with 7.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 238 hospitalized people who had the virus, though just 44 percent of them were in the hospital due to Covid-19. There were 16 Covid patients in ICU. The county reported five new fatalities on Monday, bringing the death toll here to 4,434 people since March of 2020.

• On Saturday, June 4 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.,  the Cutchogue-New Suffolk Historical Council will hold a Family History Day on the Village Green in Cutchogue. The day is created around the 3rd New York Regiment, which will be reenacting drills & recreating an encampment from the Revolutionary War. Read More.

• The North Fork Community Theatre’s annual Building on Tradition gala will be held Saturday, June 11 at Veteran’s Beach in Mattituck, with matinee and evening seatings at 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Tickets range from $125 to $175, and go toward the renovation of the historic theater. Here’s more info.

• The Beacon’s June print edition will be distributed to newsstands throughout the East End by the end of the day today. Pick up a copy at one of these locations!

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

June 1
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:16 a.m., 11:26 p.m.
Greenport: 12:10 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:05 a.m., 12:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:32 a.m., 2:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:39 a.m., 2:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:12 a.m., 11:09 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:21 a.m., 9:18 p.m.

June 2
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:18 a.m., 12:55 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:03 p.m.
Greenport: 12:55 a.m., 1:32 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:39 a.m., 2:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:50 a.m., 1:27 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:17 a.m., 2:54 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:24 a.m., 3:01 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:56 a.m., 11:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:05 a.m., 9:56 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: