This Morning’s Bulletin — 6.12.15

Beach bike
Beach bike

Good Morning!

• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 80 degrees and light and variable wind becoming southeast 5 to 10 mph in the morning. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight tonight, and a 50 percent chance of showers and thundestorms tomorrow. The high tomorrow is expected to be near 84 degrees. Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 79 degrees and Monday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 75. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Tuesday, but otherwise we’re expecting mostly cloudy skies, with a high near 77 degrees.

• Tuesday night, Congressman Lee Zeldin successfully added an amendment to the Transportation Appropriations Bill that would block the Federal Aviation Administration from using funds to “institute an administrative or civil action” against East Hampton over its plan to instate use restrictions at its municipal airport. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• Stony Brook University has confirmed a cyanobacteria bloom, more commonly known as blue–green algae, in Maratooka Lake in Mattituck, and the Suffolk County Health Department is asking residents not to use, swim or wade in these waters and to keep their pets and children away from the area. If contact does occur, they urge people rinse off with clean water immediately and seek medical attention if any of the following symptoms occur after contact: nausea, vomiting or diarrhea; skin, eye or throat irritation; or allergic reactions or breathing difficulties. This algae bloom has become a near-annual occurance in Maratooka Lake.

• The New York State Department of Transportation anticipates to begin the construction of two new traffic lights along Flanders Road where it intersects with Oak Avenue and Longneck Boulevard before the end of 2015, announced State Assemblyman Fred Thiele yesterday. According to the DOT, the traffic signals are currently being designed, and depending on the complexity of final design and potential utility or property conflicts, they expect the traffic signals to be operational in late spring/early summer 2016.

• East Hampton Town will host their annual re-enactment of the night in 1942 that the Nazis landed on the beach in Amagansett on Saturday, June 13 at the Amagansett Lifesaving Station on Atlantic Avenue at 6:30 p.m. Led by Town Crier Hugh King, attendees will reenact the night John Cullen sounded the alarm that the Nazis had landed on the beach. There will be music by Patti Page and the Andrew Sisters. They’ve been doing this since the 70th anniversary in 2012. More information is online here.

• All in a Weekend, The Beacon’s weekly cheat sheet of weekend events going on on the Twin Forks, is online here.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: