This Morning’s Bulletin — 6.2.17
• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 72 and isolated thunderstorms this afternoon, with light and variable winds becoming southwest 9 to 14 miles per hour in the morning. The chance of precipitation is 20 percent. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 47. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 72. We’re expecting increasing clouds Sunday, with a 40 percent chance of rain, mainly after 3 p.m., and a high near 70.
• Three U.S. Senators have joined the effort to decouple the proposed sale of Plum Island from the 2008 federal appropriations bill that created a replacement animal disease research lab in Manhattan, Kansas. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• In our featured letter this week, Peconic’s Rick Kedenburg writes to us about the traffic situation on the North Fork.
• If you’ve ever wished you were able to sit in on a poetry reading at Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s City Lights bookstore in San Francisco circa 1957, the age of the beatniks, a time when poetry came down from its lofty heights and mingled with the people of the world and the word, Dave Berson and Billy Hands have a treat in store for you tonight at First & South in Greenport. More details are online here.
• ONE Greenport, a committee formed to celebrate the cultural diversity of the village of Greenport, will host a Cultural Festival this Sunday, June 4 from 1 to 4 p.m. in Mitchell Park. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Stay in the know with our Events Calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:05 a.m., 5:42 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:13 a.m., 4:50 p.m.
Greenport: 5:42 a.m., 6:19 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:32 a.m., 7:06 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:37 a.m., 6:14 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:04 a.m., 7:41 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:11 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:09 a.m., 2:52 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:08 a.m., 6:38 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:16 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Greenport: 6:45 a.m., 7:15 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:32 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:40 a.m., 7:10 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:07 a.m., 8:37 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:14 a.m., 8:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:04 a.m., 3:46 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.