• Today will be sunny, with a high temperature near 77 degrees and an east wind 5 to 11 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 60. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers Friday, with mostly sunny skies and a high near 79. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 82.
• There’s great news this summer about a winter crop that could play a big role in boosting the health of our estuaries. Read more on our sister website, the Peconic Bathtub.
• A new exhibit titled “Road Rage” opens this Friday, June 25 from 4 to 7 p.m. at the new artist space in The Church at 48 Madison Street in Sag Harbor. There are 23 participating artists, and shown is Justin Favela’s great “Blue Dream” low-rider, life size. Favela works with traditional piñata material, and it was made in The Church a couple of weeks ago. And no, they don’t know how we’re going to get it out of The Church after the show! Here’s more info.
• The Southampton Arts Center presents “Using Art to Advance the Case for Life On Earth” in person this Thursday, June 24 at 6 p.m. Panelists including Safina Center Founding President Dr. Carl Safina, photographer and educator Patricia Paladines, award-winning writer Paul Greenberg, writer and artist Erica Cirino, and medical anthropologist and scientific illustrator Kate Thompson will discuss inspiration, conservation, preservation of both nature and human communities, and more. Here’s how to register for this free program.
• Suffolk County reported 24 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, June 22, with 0.3 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 51 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 10 of them in ICU. The county reported no new fatalities, and the death toll here stands at 3,401 people.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss amendments to the town code “as they relate to the Height of Walls
and Slope of the Grade Immediately in Front of the Walls” at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:55, 10:18
Montauk Harbor: 9:03 a.m., 9:26 p.m.
Greenport: 10:32 a.m., 10:55 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:38 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:27 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:54 a.m.
South Jamesport: 12:01 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:14 a.m., 9:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:23 a.m., 7:46 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:49 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:57 a.m., 10:20 p.m.
Greenport: 11:26 a.m., 11:49 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:31 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:21 a.m., 11:44 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:17 a.m., 12:48 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:24 a.m., 12:55 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:08 a.m., 10:29 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:17 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.