• It will be sunny today, with a high temperature near 80 degrees and a calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 miles per hour in the morning. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 50. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 77. We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm Wednesday, mainly before noon, with a high near 73.
• The “permanent submergence of low lying areas” could lead “East Hampton to physically transform into a series of islands,” as soon as 50 years from now, according to East Hampton’s draft Coastal Assessment Resiliency Plan (CARP), which was released to the public in late April and is expected to be adopted this June. Read more in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub.
• Custer Institute and the Long Island Chapter of the New York State Archaeological Association at the Southold Indian Museum will hold an evening of traditional indigenous music, archeoastronomy, & poetry of the first Native American poet laureate under the stars on Saturday, June 11 at 8 p.m. Read More.
• On this weekend’s Behind The Headlines on WLIW-FM, Beacon editor Beth Young joined a panel of local journalists to discuss Blade seaplanes in Sag Harbor, Group for the East End’s 50th anniversary and its impact, the Shinnecock Nation efforts to restore burial grounds in Shinnecock Hills, Riverside sewers, and a proposed shooting range and gun shop in Riverhead.. The episode can still be streamed online here.
• Suffolk County reported 535 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, June 4, with 7 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 169 hospitalized people who had the virus, though just 44 percent of them were hospitalized due to Covid. Nineteen of those patients were in ICU. The county reported one new fatality from the virus, bringing the death toll to 4,447 people since March of 2020.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:24 a.m., 4:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:32 a.m., 3:21 p.m.
Greenport: 4:01 a.m., 4:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:36 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:56 a.m., 4:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:23 a.m., 6:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:30 a.m., 6:19 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:59 a.m., 2:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:08 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:16 a.m., 5:04 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:24 a.m., 4:12 p.m.
Greenport: 4:53 a.m., 5:41 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:28 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:48 a.m., 5:36 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:15 a.m., 7:03 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:22 a.m., 7:10 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:48 a.m., 3:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:57 a.m., 1:54 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.