• Today will be sunny, with a high near 86 degrees and a north wind 9 to 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 58. Thursday and Friday will both be sunny, with highs near 81 both days.
• Filmmaker and photographer Thomas Halaczinsky has been fascinated by the archipelago spreading east from the island the Lenni Lenape Indians called Mannahatta, or “land of many hills,” since he arrived in the city in 1991, an immigrant from Germany who saw this place with fresh eyes. We recently talked with Mr. Halaczinsky about his new book, “Archipelago New York,” which chronicles his travels.
• Residents of Southold Town are consuming water at an unsustainable level if the town intends to continue to rely on the freshwater aquifer beneath its soils, according to a new report by Peconic Green Growth evaluating 38,000 Suffolk County Water Authority and town records. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Tonight is parade night at the Jamesport Firemen’s Carnival, which continues through Saturday from 6 to 11 p.m. The parade steps off at Washington Street at 7 p.m., and continues down the Main Road to the carnival grounds at the George Young Community Center on South Jamesport Avenue. More details are online here.
• The Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill has two great free musical programs on tap over the next two days, including a 1:30 p.m. afternoon concert today with the global Reaction Dance Company, which takes its influences from Jamaica, South Korea, and India, and a performance by the Rolston String Quartet, sponsored by the Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival, tomorrow at 5 p.m.
• The North Fork Animal Welfare League is planning a Petapalooza festival for July 28 to celebrate their 55th Anniversary at their Peconic animal shelter. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:34 a.m., 3:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:42 a.m., 2:19 p.m.
Greenport: 3:11 a.m., 3:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:08 a.m., 4:42 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:06 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:33 a.m., 5:10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:40 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:47 a.m., 2:29 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:38 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:32 a.m., 4:12 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:40 a.m., 3:20 p.m.
Greenport: 4:09 a.m., 4:49 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:06 a.m., 5:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:04 a.m., 4:44 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:31 a.m., 6:11 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:38 a.m., 6:18 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:41 a.m., 3:22 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:50 a.m., 1:31 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.