• We’re expecting a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today, mainly before 2 p.m., with patchy fog before 9 a.m., mostly cloudy skies and a high near 83. The wind will be out of the south at 6 to 14 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 24 mph. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 71. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 88, and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 93.
• A flotilla of nearly two dozen kayakers, accompanied by the Long Island Soundkeeper, took to the waters of Mattituck Inlet on Saturday morning, July 16, in a protest highlighting the potential environmental damage that could be done by the construction of two football field-sized yacht storage buildings proposed at Strong’s Yacht Center on the inlet. Read More.
• The No Request Band plays rock, pop and disco at Greenport’s free Dancing in the Park in Mitchell Park this evening from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Bring a blanket and chairs.
• Bay Street Theater in Sag Harbor presents “94, Of Course There’s More” with Manhattan’s Queen of Cabaret, Marilyn May this evening at 8 p.m. More info is at baystreet.org.
• Suffolk County reported 535 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, July 16, with 8.9 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 209 hospitalized people who had the virus, with 42 percent of them hospitalized due to Covid and 17 of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 4,496 people since March of 2020.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:55 a.m., 2:33 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:03 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
Greenport: 2:32 a.m., 3:10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:31 a.m., 4:03 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:27 a.m., 3:05 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:54 a.m., 4:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:01 a.m., 4:39 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:13 a.m., 1:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: Noon
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:50 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:58 a.m., 2:38 p.m.
Greenport: 3:27 a.m., 4:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:27 a.m., 4:57 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:22 a.m., 4:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:49 a.m., 5:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:56 a.m., 5:36 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:05 a.m., 2:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:14 a.m., 12:52 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.