• We’re currently under an excessive heat warning — take care to limit outdoor activity and hydrate over the next few days. Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 88 degrees but heat index values as high as 96, with a north wind 5 to 9 miles per hour, becoming southwest in the afternoon. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 76. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 93 and heat index values as high as 105. Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 92.
• New York Governor Andrew Cuomo executed the nation’s largest offshore wind agreement on Thursday — 1,700 megawatts — with the selection of two offshore wind projects for a much anticipated New York State Energy Research & Development Agency bid request. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, the Montauk Observatory presents an afternoon-long series of events at Stony Brook Southampton College on Saturday, while Custer Observatory in Southold hosts a lecture Saturday evening on how to find the lunar landing sites when observing the moon. More details are online here.
• The Orient Fire Department’s Annual Pig Roast will be held tomorrow, July 20, from 4 to 8 p.m. More details are online here.
• The New Suffolk Civic Association kicks off its annual summer ballfield concert series Sunday with a performance by April Rain at 6:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:28 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:36 a.m., 11:50 p.m.
Greenport: 12:35 a.m., 1:05 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:27 a.m., 1:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:30 a.m., 1 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:57 a.m., 2:27 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:04 a.m., 2:34 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:36 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:45 a.m., 9:54 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:42 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:22 p.m.
Greenport: 1:19 a.m., 1:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:07 a.m., 2:35 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:14 a.m., 1:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:41 a.m., 3:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:48 a.m., 3:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:28 a.m., 10:35 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.