• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 81 degrees and light and variable wind, becoming east 5 to 7 miles per hour in the morning. We’re expecting rain overnight and into Saturday, when we’re expecting a northeast wind in the 20s and a high temperature near 73 degrees. Sunday will be partly sunny, with a high near 79.
• East End Congressman Lee Zeldin says he will travel with President Donald Trump from Washington to Brentwood today to participate in the president’s address to law enforcement officials against gang violence, while a consortium of progressive groups, including many from the East End, plan to hold a rally beginning at noon in Brentwood Park, across the street from Suffolk County Community College’s Brentwood campus, where the president will give his 1:30 p.m. address. Read The Beacon’s full story online here.
• County and local governments have been talking about the necessity of reducing nitrogen leaching from cesspools on Eastern Long Island for several years, but this summer, they’re starting to put their money behind the talk. Get the details on the latest septic system rebate information online here.
• Pulitzer Prize-winning author Colson Whitehead will be the guest speaker tonight at Bridgehampton’s Hampton Library’s “Fridays at Five” author series. More details are online here.
• Long Island Poet-of-the-Year Tammy Nuzzo-Morgan will lead “Readings at Sunset” at the Southampton Historical Museum this Saturday, July 29 at 4 p.m. More details are online here.
• This Sunday, July 30 is Jordan’s Run in memory of Sag Harbor’s Lance Corporal Jordan Haerter, who was killed in a firefight in Ramadi, Iraq in April of 2008. More details on how to sign up for the run are online here.
• Northeast Stage will give a preview performance of its summer Shakespeare in the Park production of “The Comedy of Errors” this Sunday, July 30 at 7 p.m. at East End Arts in downtown Riverhead. The production moves to its home in Mitchell Park in Greenport next weekend. More details are online here.
• The Neo-Political Cowgirls have put together a special series of events this Sunday, July 30 at Guild Hall in East Hampton. Titled “Andromeda’s Sisters,” the event, from 4 to 9:30 p.m., will feature a panel discussion on women’s advocacy needs,, a reception and readings of poignant and humorous monologues and one acts from award-winning playwright Lucy Boyle. More details are online here. [$15-$60]
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Stay in the know with our events calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.