• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high temperature near 78 degrees and a north wind around 8 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 61. There’s a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Thursday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 78. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 83.
• The Village of Sag Harbor announced Tuesday that it is launching a new affordable housing initiative to address the still-growing need for affordable and accessible housing in the village. Village Trustees Bob Plumb and Ed Haye will co-chair the initiative. Read more.
• Suffolk County reported 130 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, July 26, with 2.7 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 50 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with six of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,410 people.
• Southold’s Summer Showcase Concert Series at Silversmith’s Corner (at Youngs Ave. & the Main Road) continues this evening at 7:30 p.m. with John Brisotti & East Bound Freight. The rain location is at Southold’s First Presbyterian Church.
• The Montauk Oceans Institute’s summer lecture series continues tomorrow, July 29 at 2 p.m. at the Montauk Lighthouse, with a lecture by Paul Shepson, Dean of the School of Atmospheric Sciences at Stony Brook on “Helping New York State lead in managing the change to a renewable and sustainable energy future.” Hear all about New York State’s Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act.
• Today’s the last day to subscribe to receive the August print edition of The Beacon through the U.S. Mail. You’ll read much of our coverage in print before you see it here, and our print subscribers support much of the work we do. Thank you!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:25 a.m., 1:58 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:33 a.m., 1:06 p.m.
Greenport: 2:02 a.m., 2:35 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3 a.m., 3:28 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:57 a.m., 2:30 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:24 a.m., 3:57 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:31 a.m., 4:04 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:41 a.m., 1:17 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:26 a.m., 11:38 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:15 a.m., 2:49 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:23 a.m., 1:57 p.m.
Greenport: 2:52 a.m., 3:26 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:49 a.m., 4:15 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:47 a.m., 3:21 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:14 .m., 4:48 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:21 a.m., 4:55 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:29 a.m., 2:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:14 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.