• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 86 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers this evening, mainly before midnight, with mostly cloudy skies overnight and a low around 65. Skies will clear for the Fourth of July, with a high near 81 and Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 84.
• Riverhead Town has signed a letter of intent to buy two buildings on East Main Street, along with an option to purchase a third building, to foster the development of a new town square. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• In addition to the usual increased drunk driving enforcement efforts this holiday weekends, the U.S. Coast Guard and local law enforcement are stepping up enforcement with “Operation Dry Water” this weekend. “If you’re heading out on the water this holiday weekend, have fun and always take appropriate safety precautions,” said Rear Admiral Tom Allan, Commander, U.S. Coast Guard First District. “Wear a life jacket, never drink if you plan to operate a boat, check the weather before departing, and tell a family member or friend where you’re going and when you will return.”
• Suffolk County reported 64 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Thursday, with no new deaths for the fourth day since the pandemic began. During that 24 hour period, 73 people were hospitalized with Covid (an increase of two) and 20 were in ICU (a decrease of seven). There were 12 new hospital admissions and eight new discharges. The death toll in Suffolk stands at 1,981.
• Southold Town announced Thursday that the Tasker Park playground on Peconic Lane in Peconic has now reopened.
• The Oysterponds Historical Society has posted details of its virtual Heritage Day festivities, to be held via Zoom on Sunday, July 5 at noon.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:52 a.m., 9:14 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8 a.m., 8:22 p.m.
Greenport: 9:29 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:33 a.m., 10:49 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:24 a.m., 9:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:51 a.m., 11:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:58 a.m., 11:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:07 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:16 a.m., 6:42 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:42 a.m., 10:03 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:50 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
Greenport: 10:19 a.m., 10:40 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:25 a.m., 11:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:14 a.m., 10:35 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:41 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:48 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9 a.m., 9:22 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 709 a.m., 7:31 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.