Good Morning!

• It will be cloudy today, with a high temperature near 77 degrees and a 50 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1 p.m. and a calm wind, becoming east 5 to 7 miles per hour in the morning. It will be cloudy overnight, with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms and a low around 66. Friday will be cloudy, with a high near 77 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 9 a.m. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 80.

• In November 2017, the long-awaited dredging along the west side of Long Wharf in Sag Harbor inadvertently turned Havens Beach into an archaeological site. Dredged soils piped there revealed the remains of hundreds of years of accumulated history in the form of broken bits and pieces of material culture. Read more from Beacon columnist and archeologist Jo-Ann McLean.

• Community Action Southold Town announced on Wednesday that it had closed on the purchase of its new home in Southold, due to the generous support from members of the community for CAST’s Build What Matters capital campaign. To date, CAST has raised $2.2 million, nearly 75 percent of its $3 million capital campaign goal, and hopes to raise the remaining 25 percent in the next year. This initial fundraising has allowed CAST to close on the purchase of the former Southold Methodist Church, most recently the Southold Opera House. Here’s how you can donate to the capital campaign.

• Suffolk County reported 525 new cases of Covid-19 on Wednesday, Sept. 15, with 4.5 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 249 people hospitalized with the viurs in the county, with 42 of them in ICU. The county reported four new deaths from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,498 people.

• The Riverhead Town Board is slated to discuss building department fees and the site plan application for 205 Osborn Avenue at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, and here’s where to view the meeting live. The Southampton Town Board’s work session for today has been cancelled.

• Guild Hall in East Hampton is currently presenting a series of 19 monumental charcoal drawings by artist Robert Longo that act as mirrors into recent history. Read more.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

Sept. 16
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:40 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:48 a.m., 6:17 p.m.
Greenport: 7:17 a.m., 7:46 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:06 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:12 a.m., 7:41 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:39 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:46 a.m., 9:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:38 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet:3:47 a.m., 4:16 p.m.

Sept. 17
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:36 a.m., 8:02 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:44 a.m., 7:10 p.m.
Greenport: 8:13 a.m., 8:39 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:07 a.m., 9:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:08 a.m., 8:34 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:35 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:42 a.m., 10:08 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:43 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:52 a.m., 5:18 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: