Pictured Above: No Parade? The Peconic Bay Yacht Squadron instead held a flotilla Saturday in New Suffolk
• Today will be sunny, with a high near 91 degrees and a northwest wind 5 to 8 miles per hour, becoming south in the afternoon. There’s 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms this evening mainly after 8 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 67. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Tuesday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 81. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 86.
• One of best memes we’ve seen recently on the interweb states pretty simply: “Racial justice doesn’t mean you have to be extra nice to your four black friends. It means you have to stand up to your 50 racist white friends.” Read our July editorial for more on what this might look like.
• There have been no new Covid-19 fatalities in Suffolk County in four of the past five days, a hopeful sign here as the virus begins to pick up steam elsewhere in the country. Suffolk County reported 57 new positive cases of the virus in the prior 24 hours ending July 5, with 63 people hospitalized (a decrease of three), 16 in intensive care (also a decrease of three), eight new hospital admissions and 13 people discharged from the hospital.
• The New Suffolk Fourth of July parade was cancelled due to the pandemic… but a Cutchogue Fire Department driveby, along with the flotilla pictured at the top of today’s bulletin, was still in order!
• The Southampton Village Combined Veterans Organization and the Oysterponds Historical Society in Orient have also both put together video montages of their Fourth of July festivities from years past. Southampton’s is below, and Oysterponds’ is online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:23 a.m., 11:42 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:31 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:28 a.m., 1:02 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:55 a.m.
New Suffolk: 12:52 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:59 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:40 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:49 a.m., 9:05 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:21 a.m., 11:39 p.m.
Greenport: 1219 a.m., 12:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:16 a.m., 1:49 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:14 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:41 a.m., 2:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:48 a.m., 2:19 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:29 a.m., 11:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:38 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.