• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 45 degrees and a calm wind becoming east 5 to 7 miles per hour in the morning. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 37. We’re expecting rain on Saturday, mainly after 10 a.m., with a high temperature near 44 degrees. Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 44.
• This coming Monday is the 75th Anniversary of the freeing of the Auschwitz concentration camp, and The North Fork Reform Synagogue and the Southold Town Anti-Bias Task Force are commemorating International Holocaust Remembrance Day this Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Cutchogue Presbyterian Church. More details are online here.
• Our Peconic Dish columnist, Alison Boyd-Savage, turns to simple, warming plant-based meals, enlivened with spices and aromatics, such as the dishes she is sharing for January. They are light and nutritious and will warm the heart and belly of the most hardened meat eater.
• Beth Fiteni, of Green Inside and Out, will give a talk sponsored by the North Fork Environmental Council on how to have a Green New Year this Friday, Jan. 24 at 6:30 p.m. at the Jamesport Meeting House. More details are online here.
• For the first time, Guild Hall’s Student Art Festival, opening tomorrow with a reception from 2 to 4 p.m., will have a theme: Made By Water, exploring their experiences with our oceans, waterways, and natural landscapes. More details are online here.
• Looking ahead to next week, the East Hampton Library hosts a forum on Thursday, Jan. 30 at 6 p.m. on a new New York State Law allowing undocumented immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:12 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:20 a.m., 8:43 p.m.
Greenport: 9:49 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:48 a.m., 11:16 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:44 a.m., 10:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:11 a.m., 11:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:18 a.m., 11:41 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:28 a.m., 8:53 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:37 a.m., 7:02 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:56 a.m., 10:19 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:04 a.m., 9:27 p.m.
Greenport: 10:33 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:31 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:28 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:55 a.m.
South Jamesport: 12:02 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:10 a.m., 9:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:19 a.m., 7:45 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.