• We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm before noon today, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon, with a high temperature near 76 degrees. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Winds will be out of the east at 8 to 16 miles per hour, with new rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible. There’s a 20 percent chance of overnight showers and thunderstorms. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 74 and a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 4 p.m. Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 82.
• Many Latina women living on the East End today as dependent spouses are subject to an inequity of federal immigration law that determines that their legal status is dependent on the integrity of the men they accompanied to America. But a few brave women here are looking to change that imbalance. Read more about the work of SEPA Mujer in the first story by our new contributing writer, Jo-Ann McLean, online here.
• Saturday evening, July 8 from 6 to 8 p.m., Sag Harbor will celebrate the release of a new book by former longtime Sag Harbor Express Art Editor Annette Hinkle, “Sag Harbor: 100 Years of Film in the Village,” with a party at Sylvester & Co. at 103 Main Street. More details are online here.
• The Mattituck Chamber of Commerce’s 40th Annual Love Lane Street Fair is this Saturday, July 8 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. More details are online here.
• Next Thursday, July 13, the Jamesport Meeting House will host an East End Trivia Night to benefit the continued restoration of the 1731 community meeting house, and the organizers are still looking for teams to compete and for audiences to come cheer on the festivities. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend and in the weeks ahead. Get the details from our Events Calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:36 a.m., 9:50 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:44 a.m., 8:58 p.m.
Greenport: 10:13 a.m., 10:27 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:09 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:08 a.m., 10:22 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:35 a.m., 11:49 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:42 a.m., 11:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:48 a.m., 7:05 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:19 a.m., 10:31 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:27 a.m., 9:39 p.m.
Greenport: 10:56 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:50 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:51 a.m., 11:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:18 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:25 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:30 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.