Good Morning!

• Today will be sunny, with a high near 90 degrees and a  20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Heat index values could be as high as 98. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms this evening, mainly before 2 a.m. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 69. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Thursday, mainly after 8 a.m., with partly sunny skies and a high near 82. We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm on Friday, with a high near 83 and new rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Jim Preston and Nelson Bogart perform acoustic rock in a free concert on the Old Point Schoolhouse Lawn at the Oysterponds Historical Society, 1555 Village Lane in Orient this evening at 7 p.m. For more information, visit

• Southold’s Summer Showcase Concert Series at Silversmith’s Corner (Route 25 and Youngs Ave.) presents Marty Attridge & Who Are Those Guys this evening at 7:30 p.m. The rain location is Southold’s First Presbyterian Church.

• The Riverhead Town Board meets this afternoon at 2 p.m. Here’s the agenda, and here’s how to view the meeting.

• Suffolk County Vector Control will be spraying for mosquitoes over salt marshes throughout the county and on the East End today through Friday between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. According to the county, “no precautions are recommended to prepare for this spraying, as the helicopter will be flying at a very low level over marsh areas and taking other precautions to control drift into inhabited areas.”

• Suffolk County reported 22 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, July 5, with 0.9 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 31 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with four of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality, bringing the death toll from the virus here to 3,407 people.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

July 7
Plum Gut Harbor: 9 a.m., 9:15 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:08 a.m., 8:23 p.m.
Greenport: 9:37 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:33 a.m., 10:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:32 a.m., 9:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:59 a.m., 11:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:06 a.m., 11:21 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:03 a.m., 8:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:12 a.m., 6:25 p.m.

July 8
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:43 a.m., 9:56 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:51 a.m., 9:04 p.m.
Greenport: 10:20 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:16 a.m., 11:22 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:15 a.m., 10:28 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:42 a.m., 11:55 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:49 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:48 a.m., 8:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:57 a.m., 7:05 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: