• Today will be sunny, with a high near 87 degrees and a northwest wind 3 to 8 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of overnight showers and thunderstorms, with a low around 70. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday, with cloudy skies and a high near 80. Showers are likely, with possibly a thunderstorm Sunday, with a high near 80.
• Assemblyman Fred W. Thiele, Jr. and State Senator Kenneth
P. LaValle announced Thursday that their legislation authorizing the transfer of the Shinnecock Commercial Fishing Dock on Dune Road in Hampton Bays from Suffolk County to the Town of Southampton has been signed into Law by Governor Andrew Cuomo. Mr. Thiele says “this transfer will protect county taxpayers from covering capital repair costs while allowing the town to make dock improvements that will better serve the thriving fishing industry.”
• The 86th Annual Springs Fisherman’s Fair will be held at Ashawagh Hall this Saturday, Aug. 11 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Tenth Annual Great Riverhead Cardboard Boat Race will be held this Saturday, Aug. 11. Boat registration begins at 9 a.m. and the races begin at noon, starting with newly-elected Riverhead Town Supervisor Laura Jens-Smith attempting to win back the Supervisor’s Cup from Southampton Town Supervisor Jay Schneiderman. More details are online here.
• Island Jazz Express will perform a special free concert at the Southold Historical Society Museum Complex as part of the Douglas Moore Concert Series on Saturday, Aug. 11 at 7 p.m. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in The Beacon’s Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:16 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:24 a.m., 8:51 p.m.
Greenport: 9:53 a.m., 10:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:48 a.m., 10:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:15 a.m., 11:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:22 a.m., 11:49 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:41 a.m., 8:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:50 a.m., 7:08 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:09 a.m., 10:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:17 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
Greenport: 10:46 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:53 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:41 a.m., 11:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:34 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:43 a.m., 8 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.