• We’re expecting mostly cloudy skies this morning, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high temperature near 83 degrees and a northeast wind 3 to 6 mph. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight, mainly after 2 a.m, with increasing clouds and a low around 69. We’re expecting showers early on Thursday, with skies clearing and a high near 82. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 84 degrees.
• Save the Sound presents the seventh annual Paddle for the Sound event from August 12 – August 14. For the third year, it will be a virtual event that participants can join from anywhere. Read more in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub.
• The South Fork Natural History Museum hosts Shark Research & Education: 2022 Field Work Update this evening at 5 p.m. More details are at sofo.org.
• “The Soap Myth” opens this evening at at the Southampton Cultural Center, 25 Jobs Lane in Southampton with showtimes 8 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays and 5 p.m. Sundays through Aug. 28. Fifty years after the end of World War II, a passionate Holocaust survivor and a young journalist find themselves caught between numerous versions of the same story: Did the Nazis make soap from the corpses of their murdered victims? The play confronts the dangerous rise of anti-Semitism and exposes the pernicious scourge of Holocaust denial. Tickets range from $35 to $70 and are available at scc-arts.org.
• Opera at the Park with Long Island School of Arts will be held this evening at 6:30 p.m. at Southampton Village’s Agawam Park. Bring a blanket or lawn chairs. (Rain Date Thursday, Aug. 11)
• Marty Attridge & Who Are Those Guys perform at the Summer Showcase Concert Series at Silversmith’s Corner, Main Road & Youngs Ave. in Southold this evening at 7:30 p.m. In case of rain, concerts will be held at the Southold Town Recreation Center at 970 Peconic Lane.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:44 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:52 a.m., 8:20 p.m.
Greenport: 9:21 a.m., 9:49 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:25 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:16 a.m., 9:44 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:43 a.m., 11:11 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:50 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:04 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:13 a.m., 6:39 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:36 a.m., 10:04 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:44 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
Greenport: 10:13 a.m., 10:41 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:20 a.m., 11:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:08 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:35 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:42 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:01 a.m., 9:23 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:10 a.m., 7:32 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.