• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 88 degrees and a west wind 9 to 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 72. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 90, and Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 86.
• The North Fork Community Theatre in Mattituck embarked this week on a brave new step into the 21st Century — a ground-up renovation that will dramatically alter the capabilities of this tight-knit theater troupe. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The much-awaited final chapter of Southold Town’s Comprehensive Plan Update, on Transportation and Infrastructure, will be the subject of three public meetings next week. More details are online here.
• The Southold Fire Department at 55135 Main Road in Southold will hold a community blood drive from 2:15 to 8:15 p.m. today. There is currently an emergency need for blood, and the fire department is offering a free spaghetti dinner and a slice of pie to donors after 5 p.m.
• The East Marion Community Association will hold a public meeting titled “Troubled Waters in Oysterponds: Threats to Our Water Supply” this Saturday, Aug. 18 at 10 a.m. at Poquatuck Hall in Orient. All are welcome to attend. More details are online here.
• The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has announced it will host two additional meetings on commercial fishing permits in Montauk on Thursday, Aug. 23 and Wednesday, Sept. 5 at 6 p.m. at the Montauk Playhouse. More details are online here. Another meeting is scheduled for this coming Tuesday, Aug. 21 at the Suffolk County Marine Environmental Learning Center at Cedar Beach in Southold at 6 p.m.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:14 a.m., 1:45 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:22 a.m., 12:53 p.m.
Greenport: 1:51 a.m., 2:22 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:50 a.m., 3:18 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:46 a.m., 2:17 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:13 a.m., 3:44 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:20 a.m., 3:51 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:28 a.m., 1:06 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:15 a.m., 11:30 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:07 a.m., 2:40 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:15 a.m., 1:48 p.m.
Greenport: 2:44 a.m., 3:17 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:43 a.m., 4:11 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:39 a.m., 3:12 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:06 a.m., 4:39 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:13 a.m., 4:46 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:21 a.m., 1:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:08 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.