This Morning’s Bulletin — 8.15.22
• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high temperature near 81 degrees and a calm wind becoming east 5 to 8 miles per hour in the morning. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 60. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 79 and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 78 and a 30 percent chance of showers after 2 p.m.
• This weekend on Behind the Headlines on 88.3 WLIW-FM, Beacon Editor Beth Young joined a panel of great local journalists discussing deer hunting in Southold, paid EMTs in East End fire departments, the historic African-American neighborhoods of Sag Harbor and a proposed ice hockey rink in Riverhead. Here’s the YouTube feed.
• The new Heart of Riverhead Civic Association will meet this Wednesday, Aug. 17 from 6:30 to 7:30 at Riverhead Library, where members will brainstorm about their goals and visions for the organization. All who care about downtown Riverhead are welcome, and attendees are asked to bring a friend.
• Suffolk County reported 399 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, Aug. 13, with 6.7 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 204 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 50 of them hospitalized due to Covid and 19 of them in ICU. The county reported no new fatalities from the virus, and the death toll here stands at 4,532 people since March of 2020.
• Southbound performs country and classic rock at Greenport’s free Dancing in the Park in Mitchell Park this evening from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Bring a blanket or lawn chairs.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:37 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:16 p.m.
Greenport: 1:14 a.m., 1:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:15 a.m., 2:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:09 a.m., 1:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:36 a.m., 3:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:43 a.m., 3:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:27 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:36 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:27 a.m., 1:59 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:35 a.m., 1:07 p.m.
Greenport: 2:04 a.m., 2:36 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:05 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:59 a.m., 2:31 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:26 a.m., 3:58 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:33 a.m., 4:05 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:44 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:27 a.m., 11:44 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.