Mashomack, wading, Shelter Island
Mashomack, wading, Shelter Island

Good Morning!

• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 86 degrees and a south wind 5 to 10 miles per hour. We’re expecting isolated showers and thunderstorms after 10 p.m., but otherwise tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 70 degrees. We’re expecting scattered showers and thunderstorms before 8 a.m. tomorrow, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 82 degrees and a south wind 9 to 13 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Thursday, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 81. There’s a 70 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Friday, with potential for heavy rainfall and a high near 83 degrees.

• The Central Pine Barrens Joint Planning and Policy Commission is hosting a meeting to discuss their wildfire mitigation plans in the Flanders pine barrens tonight, Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. at the David W. Crohan Community Center in Flanders. Firefighters in Flanders have been asking the commission for help clearing the fire lanes there after several trucks became stuck on fallen trees in the fire lanes during a brush fire in April. The plan is available online here.

• The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released its plan Monday to continue to allow the dumping of toxin-laden dredge spoils from Connecticut rivers into the Long Island Sound, and elected leaders on Long Island were quick to announce their opposition to the plan. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss deer management, the Amagansett comfort station, Section 8 housing and will hold a public hearing on Ciao’s music license at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Shelter Island Town Board will discuss a water quality proposal, household garbage collection and a seawall project on Taylor’s Island at their 1 p.m. work session today. Their full agenda is online here.

• Suffolk County Vector Control plans to spray the following East End areas with Vectoback 12AS and methoprene between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. today: Napeague, Hither Hills wetlands, Accabonac Harbor, Crescent Duck Farm, New Suffolk, Iron Point in Southampton and North Sea.

• Skate and street artist Chris Dyer is coming to Riverhead this Saturday to teach a free “Express Yourself Art & Creativity Jam Workshop” on Aug. 22 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at East End Arts. Teens are invited to join Chris for an open brush painting workshop of wooden rain barrels as Chris does a spray painting demonstration and talks about the history of graffiti, street art, and his intention of building bridges with visionary art. Chris will discuss using public art to reinvent places and objects. Bring sketches of ideas if you have them. Advance registration is required by August 21 at the link here.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.


Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: