• We’re expecting areas of fog before 11 a.m. today, with isolated showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m., mostly cloudy skies and a high temperature near 91, with a southwest wind 8 to 10 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 70. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 86 and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 83 and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.
• The East End is under a heat advisory through 8 p.m. today, and the Suffolk County Water Authority is urging residents to cut down on their irrigation to protect the water supply for emergencies.
“We are anticipating unprecedented demand for water during this period. We are asking all of our customers to help by immediately changing the settings on your irrigation controllers so they water every other day, not every day,” said the Water Authority’s CEO, Jeff Szabo. “We also ask that you adjust watering times so that your systems do not operate during the 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. hours.”
• Two dead humpback whales were found floating offshore off Long Island late last week in the midst of an unusual mortality event in effect for these whales up and down the Eastern Seaboard. Read the full story in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub.
• Suffolk County reported just 26 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending July 19, a new low in the fight to stamp out the disease here. Fifty-eight people remain hospitalized in the county with the disease (a decrease of three) and 14 patients are in ICU (also a decrease of three). One new fatality was reported Sunday — the first fatality since July 11. In total, 1,994 Suffolk residents have died from the virus.
• The Clothesline Art Sale at Guild Hall in East Hampton is on for next Saturday! Here are more details on entering or participating in the sale.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:24 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:32 a.m., 9:44 p.m.
Greenport: 11:01 a.m., 11:13 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:59 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:56 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:23 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:30 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:32 a.m., 9:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:41 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:09 a.m., 11:21 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:17 a.m., 10:29 p.m.
Greenport: 11:46 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:07 a.m., 12:44 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:41 a.m., 11:53 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:35 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:42 a.m., 1:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:53 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:26 a.m., 8:32 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.