• Today will be sunny, with a high near 82 degrees and a south wind 7 to 14 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers overnight, with a low around 72, and a 20 percent chance of showers Friday afternoon. The high Friday is expected to be near 87 degrees. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 86 degrees.
• Congressman Lee Zeldin will be in Southold this morning for a press conference to discuss the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ proposed work at Hashamomuck Cove on the Long Island Sound. We’ll have more details this afternoon.
• The Neo-Political Cowgirls’ new sky-play, “Andromeda,” opens tonight at Montauk County Park and continues through Sunday. Our full story is online here. [$20]
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss a proposed Erosion Control District for the North Sea Beach Colony at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• Riverhead’s work session for today has been cancelled.
• Entomologist Joe Napolitano and Nicholas Raffel to see what kinds of insects fly the night skies in a special presentation at the Quogue Wildlife Refuge tonight at 7:30 p.m. More information is online here. [$5]
• The East Hampton Library’s Tom Twomey Lecture Series will host a discussion of “Lessons From Katrina: Preparing for the Next Big One Here” tomorrow evening, Aug. 24 at 6 p.m. Admission is free, but registration is requested. More information is online here.
• Astronomer Mike Inglis will discuss the current Juno mission to Jupiter at a special Montauk Observatory lecture at The Ross School tonight at 7:30 p.m. More information is online here. [Free]
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association will host a community discussion on affordable housing and an update on the North Shore helicopter route next Monday, Aug. 29 at 6:30 p.m. at the Mattituck American Legion Hall. More information is online here.
• Art/History/Amagansett, a series of talks and seminars about the art world of the eastern tip of the South Fork, is returning in September for a second season to the Amagansett Library. More information is online here.
• Southold Town and the Suffolk County Water Authority have announced that they will be holding a joint meeting to discuss water conservation measures on Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 7 p.m. in the town hall meeting room.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 3:05 a.m., 3:47 p.m.
Orient: 4:06 a.m., 4:48 p.m.
GPT: 4:34 a.m., 5:16 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 4:29 a.m., 5:11 p.m.
S. JPT: 6:03 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 1:17 a.m., 1:46 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 4:12 a.m., 4:54 p.m.
Orient: 5:13 a.m., 5:55 p.m.
GPT: 5:41 a.m., 6:23 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 5:36 a.m., 6:18 p.m.
S. JPT: 7:10 a.m., 7:52 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 2:18 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.