Good Morning!

• We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm today, mainly before 2 p.m., tapering off in the afternoon. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. The high temperature will be near 76 degrees, with a south wind 10 to 16 miles per hour. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch are possible. There’s a 70 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight, with gusty winds and heavy rain and a low around 68. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 81. Sunday will be partly sunny, with a high near 77.

• Riverhead Anti-Bias Task Force members responded this week to Councilman Ken Rothwell’s plan to ‘overhaul’ the group. Read More.

• The Shelter Island Health and Wellness Alliance and the Shelter Island Library host psychologist and author of “Digital Madness: How Social Media is Driving Our Mental Health Crisis–and How to Restore Our Sanity” Nicholas Kardaras PhD this evening at 7 p.m. Dr. Kardaras will share his analysis of the social and psychological impacts of overdependence on technology and suggest steps toward a happier, healthier future. Here’s more info.

• Heather Dune MacAdam and Simon Worrall discuss “Star Crossed: a True WWII Romeo & Juliet Love Story in Hitler’s Paris” this evening at 6 p.m. at Canio’s Books, 290 Main Street in Sag Harbor. More details are at caniosbooks.com.

• The Parrish Art Museum hosts an Art Talk on James Brooks: A Painting is a Real Thing this evening at 6:30 p.m.  More details are at parrishart.org.

• Back to Back to Black: An Amy Winehouse Celebration will be held at 8 p.m. this evening at The Suffolk, 118 East Main Street, Riverhead. 8 p.m. Tickets are available at thesuffolk.org.

• The Old Town Arts & Crafts Guild holds an Antiques, Fine Arts & Crafts Fair tomorrow, Aug. 26 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Peconic Lane Recreation Center, 970 Peconic Lane, Peconic. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The rain date is Aug. 27. Admission is free and more details are at oldtownartsguild.org.

• The Shelter Island Arts & Crafts Fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. tomorrow on the grounds of the Shelter Island School, 33 North Ferry Road, Shelter Island. Admission is free, and more details are at shelterislandchamber.org.

• The Suffolk County Historical Society Museum in Riverhead hosts Book & Bottle: “The Ferguson Brothers Lynchings on Long Island: A Civil Rights Catalyst” SAturday afternoon at 1 p.m. Here’s more info.

• Rites of Spring Music Fest presents a Rustic Mid-Summer Concert of music for the violin and viola on Sunday, Aug. 27 at 6:30 p.m. at McCall Vineyards, 22600 Main Road in Cutchogue. More details are at ritesmusic.org.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

August 25
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:58 a.m., 5:29 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:06 a.m., 4:37 p.m.
Greenport: 5:35 a.m., 6:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:22 a.m., 6:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:30 a.m., 6:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:57 a.m., 7:28 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:04 a.m., 7:35 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:35 a.m., 4:11 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:44 a.m., 2:20 p.m.

August 26
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:04 a.m., 6:31 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:12 a.m., 5:39 p.m.
Greenport: 6:41 a.m., 7:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:26 a.m., 7:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:36 a.m., 7:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:03 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:10 a.m., 8:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:43 a.m., 5:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:52 a.m., 3:28 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: