This Morning’s Bulletin — 8.26.19
Pictured Above: At Red Creek, Saturday. Hampton Bays.
• It will be cloudy through mid morning today, then gradually clearing, with a high temperature near 73 degrees and a northeast wind around 14 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 54. We’re expecting increasing clouds on Tuesday, with a high near 74, and cloudy skies on Wednesday, with a high near 79.
• There’s a high risk of rip currents along Suffolk County’s ocean beaches through this evening. The National Weather Service is advising swimmers to swim near a lifeguard, and, if caught in a rip current, relax and float and do not swim against the current.
• Suffolk County is holding two public hearings this September on an aggressive $4 billion plan to upgrade septic systems to reduce nitrogen overload in our waterways. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Southampton Town Supervisor Jay Schneiderman announced Friday that he has deemed a petition for incorporation of a Village of East Quogue complete, and the matter can now be put to a public vote.
• The Southampton Arts Center hosts a workshop production of Ted Rosenthal’s opera “Dear Erich” this evening at 7 p.m. as part of its Theater & Opera Mondays series, while Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor welcomes Isaac Mizrahi’s “Queen Size” at its Music Mondays series at 8 p.m.
• Today is the last day to subscribe to The Beacon’s print edition to receive September’s edition in your mailbox. Print edition subscriptions are the economic engine that drives much of the work we do, and you’ll read many of these stories in print before you read them online here. Subscribe now!
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:52 a.m., 7:16 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6 a.m., 6:24 p.m.
Greenport: 7:29 a.m., 7:53 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:15 a.m., 8:32 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:24 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:51 a.m., 9:15 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:58 a.m., 9:22 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:42 A.M., 6:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:51 a.m., 4:12 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:42 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:50 a.m., 7:14 p.m.
Greenport: 8:19 a.m., 8:43 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:13 a.m., 9:31 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:14 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:41 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:48 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:47 a.m., 7:07 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:56 a.m., 5:16 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.