• There’s a 50 percent chance of rain today, mainly before 10 a.m., with cloudy skies throughout the day and a high near 46. We’re expecting showers overnight, with a low around 38. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers Friday, mainly before noon, gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 55. Saturday will be sunny and breezy, with a high near 34. Breezy.
• The Suffolk County Legislature’s Marine Industry Revitalization Advisory Council is looking for feedback on the needs of the marine industry in a special public hearing at the County Center building in Riverside this evening from 5 to 7 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss Suffolk County land preservation with County Legislator Al Krupski and a request for proposals at the town’s landfill at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their agenda is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss a change of zone proposal from the Southampton Full Gospel Church at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their agenda is online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold public hearings on a proposal to extend a building moratorium in Wainscott’s Hamlet Business zoning areas, on coastal setbacks, lighting laws and a proposal to ban the intentional release of balloons at their 6:30 p.m. meeting this evening. Their full agenda is online here.
• The newly-formed Greenport Community Association is inviting the public to its second meeting to hear advice from Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association founder Mary Eisenstein this Saturday, Feb. 9 at 2 p.m. More details are online here.
• Our Gardenwise columnist, Susan Tito, shares some expert advice on starting seeds at home this winter.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:30 a.m., 11:56 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:38 a.m., 11:04 p.m.
Greenport: 12:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:38 a.m., 12:53 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:14 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:21 a.m., 1:36 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:28 a.m., 10:52 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:37 a.m., 9:01 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:10 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:18 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Greenport: 12:33 a.m., 12:47 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:14 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:28 a.m., 12:42 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:55 a.m., 2:09 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:02 a.m., 2:16 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:04 a.m., 11:27 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:13 a.m., 9:36 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.