• We’re expecting patchy fog before 8 a.m. today, with partly sunny skies, a high near 83 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2 p.m. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 70. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 82 and Wednesday will be cloudy, with a high near 77 degrees and showers likely, mainly after 2 p.m.
• If you’ve spent enough time in any agricultural area throughout the United States, you’ve probably seen a bumper sticker that says “No Farms No Food.” This is an admirable sentiment that does much to remind us of how essential farms are to our survival. But equally as essential are the people who work long hours picking crops, whose life stories are seldom told because they are often quite bleak. Laborers on farms have also long been excluded from labor laws that govern other industries. Read this month’s editorial.
• Suffolk County reported 557 new cases of Covid-19 on Friday, Aug. 27, with 4.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 226 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 36 of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality, bringing the death toll from the virus here to 3,451 people.
• Teatro Yerbabruja presents an immersive performance art experience, “Constellations,” outdoors under the North Fork night sky at the Custer Observatory in Southold on Saturday, Sept. 4 at 8 p.m. Here are more details.
• This evening’s free concerts in parks on the East End includes “Around the World with Ray Red “at the Montauk Green, 742 Montauk Highway in Montauk at 6 p.m. and “That Motown Band” at Dances in the Park at Mitchell Park, 115 Front Street in Greenport at 7:30 p.m.
• Our September monthly print edition will be on newsstands later today — you’ll read many of our stories in print before you find them here, and our print edition supports much of the work we do! Sign up here.
Today’s high tides on the East End are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:23 a.m., 4:56 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:31 a.m., 4:04 p.m.
Greenport: 5 a.m., 5:33 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:46 a.m., 6:02 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:55 a.m., 5:28 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:22 a.m., 6:55 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:29 a.m., 7:02 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:16 a.m., 3:34 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:25 a.m., 1:43 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.