• Tropical Storm Isaias is expected to hit Long Island this afternoon. The storm is likely to provide a “dry run for what could be a very active hurricane season,” said Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone. We’ll be updating this story throughout the day today.
• Our local forecast for the East End calls for a high temperature of 83 today, with tropical storm conditions possible in the afternoon, and expected in the evening and rainfall of about 1 to 2 inches by the time the storm passes through overnight. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers early Wednesday, with skies clearing throughout the day and a high near 87. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 86.
• Greenport’s American Legion Roller Rink has been holding blood drives every Tuesday since July 14 in the midst of a dire need for blood. Though they’ve cancelled today’s blood drive due to the tropical storm, they will continue next Tuesday, and through Sept. 8, from 1 to 7 p.m. Schedule an appointment by calling 1-800-933-2566 or online at www.nybc.org.
• The deadline to apply for New York State’s Covid-19 rent relief program was extended one week to this Thursday, Aug. 6. Here are more details.
• Fifty new people tested positive for Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Aug. 3, with 1.2 percent of those tested testing positive. There were no new Covid deaths here, and the county’s death toll stands at 1,997.
• The East Hampton Town Board is slated to discuss a temporary Verizon cell site at their 11 a.m. work session this morning.
• The Riverhead Town Board meets at 2 p.m. today. On the agenda for the town’s Community Development Agency is the approval of the purchase of three properties on East Main Street to be used for a town square.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11 a.m., 11:20 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:08 a.m., 10:28 p.m.
Greenport: 11:37 a.m., 11:57 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:11 a.m., 12:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:32 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:34 a.m., 12:59 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:41 a.m., 1:06 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:19 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:28 a.m., 8:42 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:47 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:55 a.m., 11:13 p.m.
Greenport: 12:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:55 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:19 a.m., 1:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:26 a.m., 1:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:03 a.m., 11:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:12 a.m., 9:25 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.