Good Morning!

• There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today, mainly before noon, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 83. The wind will be out of the south at 5 to 8 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of overnight showers and thunderstorms, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 70. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Wednesday, with partly sunny skies and a high near 84. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 87 and a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.

• Southampton Town hosts a National Night Out police and community partnership event this evening from 5:30 to 10 p.m. at Red Creek Park at 100 Old Riverhead Road in Hampton Bays, with food, music, a bouncy house, dunk tank, face painting, fire truck and police equipment tours, bike and car seat safety, canine demonstrations, sports and giveaways. All are welcome to attend.

• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss the Wainscott hamlet study and the town’s water quality advisory committee’s recommendations at its 10 a.m. work session this morning at town hall. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Shelter Island Town Board will discuss accessory apartments and short term rentals at their 1 p.m. work session this afternoon. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Riverhead Town Board meets at 2 p.m. this afternoon. There are no public hearings scheduled. Their full agenda is online here.

• Beginning this Thursday, the summer interns at Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor present a three-day long production of “Incognito,” in which four actors play a combined 21 characters within the play’s three interwoven stories. Tickets are $10 and more details are online here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

August 6
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:30 a.m., 3:07 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:38 a.m., 2:15 p.m.
Greenport: 3:07 a.m., 3:44 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:06 a.m., 4:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:02 a.m., 3:39 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:29 a.m., 5:06 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:36 a.m., 5:13 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:43 a.m., 2:24 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:33 p.m.

August 7
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:29 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:37 a.m., 3:17 p.m.
Greenport: 4:06 a.m., 4:46 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:04 a.m., 5:34 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:01 a.m., 4:41 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:28 a.m., 6:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:35 a.m., 6:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:38 a.m., 3:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:47 a.m., 1:27 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: