Heavy crop...
Jamesport, Wednesday

Good Morning!

• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon today, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 76 degrees, with patchy fog before 9 a.m. The wind will be out of the south at 6 to 9 miles per hour. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers overnight, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a low around 63. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Friday, mainly after noon, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 78. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 79.

• Congressional elections are more than a year away, but the Democratic field is already getting crowded, as candidates jockey to see who will run against incumbent Congressman Lee Zeldin in 2018. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• The Riverhead Town Board will begin its 10:30 a.m. work session this morning with a special meeting to approve the site plan for the Suffolk Theater, which is looking to use a trailer behind the theater as a green room for its guests. Also on the agenda are a roof for the water district building, senior discount week and the town’s grant to clean up zombie houses. The meeting will be preceded by an executive session to discuss the languishing contract with Luminati Aerospace to purchase property at EPCAL. The board’s full agenda is online here.

• The Southampton Town Board will hold a special meeting at 10 a.m. this morning to vote on whether to accept the Environmental Impact Statement of the controversial The Hills at Southampton golf course and housing development in East Quogue. Their full agenda is online here.

• The East Hampton Arts Council and Golden Eagle will present Creative Networking Nights at Golden Eagle “The Barn,” 144 North Main Street, East Hampton this evening, Sept. 14, from 6 to 8 p.m. Musician Nancy Atlas, artist John Haubrich, writer David Kozatch, artist and printmaker Anne Raymond and podcaster and oral historian (and Beacon correspondent) Kara Westerman will speak. All are welcome to attend. [Free]

• Riverside Rediscovered will hold its monthly meet-up this evening at 6:30 p.m. at their headquarters at 108 Peconic Avenue. Sean McLean from Renaissance Downtowns will provide a development update. All are welcome to attend. RSVP to 631.591.3926.

• National Estuaries Week begins this Saturday, Sept. 16, and the Peconic Estuary Program is celebrating with a salt marsh restoration at Cornell Cooperative Extension’s Marine Program headquarters at Cedar Beach in Southold on Saturday from 1 to 2:30 p.m. More details are online here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

Sept. 14
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:01 a.m., 5:39 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:09 a.m., 4:47 p.m.
Greenport: 5:38 a.m., 6:16 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:32 a.m., 6:56 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:33 a.m., 6:11 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7 a.m., 7:38 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:07 a.m., 7:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:14 a.m., 2:39 p.m.

Sept. 15
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:07 a.m., 6:42 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:15 a.m., 5:50 p.m.
Greenport: 6:44 a.m., 7:19 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:37 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:39 a.m., 7:14 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:06 a.m., 8:41 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:13 a.m., 8:48 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:19 a.m., 3:44 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: