• We’re expecting showers and thunderstorms today as the remains of Hurricane Florence scatter across the northeast, with new rainfall amounts likely falling between a half and three quarters of an inch. The high temperature will be near 79 degrees, with a southwest wind 11 to 17 miles per hour. Showers and thunderstorms will taper off overnight, when the low will be around 67 degrees. Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 76 degrees, and Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
• It was Suffolk County Community College’s official Constitution Day Monday as students rushing to classes on the Eastern Campus in Riverhead got a first-hand look at the messy process of democracy, when Congressman Lee Zeldin came to campus for a forum billed as an Immigration Roundtable. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Riverhead Fire Department at 540 Roanoke Avenue will hold a community blood drive this afternoon and evening from 1 to 7 p.m. Please give blood if you can!
• The East Hampton Town Board will hear a presentation from the Tobacco Action Coalition of Long Island and discuss the town’s social media presence, the South Fork Commuter Connection and the Army Corps of Engineers’ Fire Island to Montauk Point project at their 10 a.m. work session at town hall this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board meets at 2 p.m. this afternoon. They have no public hearings scheduled. Here’s the agenda.
• Southampton Town has set a public hearing for Oct. 9 on whether the town should use Community Preservation Fund money to purchase a building lot in Shinnecock Hills where a bulldozer excavated remains from what is believed to be a Shinnecock Indian burial ground. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:41 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:49 a.m., 5:15 p.m.
Greenport: 6:18 a.m., 6:44 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7 a.m., 7:21 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:13 a.m., 6:39 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:40 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:47 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:26 a.m., 4:50 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:35 a.m., 2:59 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:39 a.m., 7:02 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:47 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
Greenport: 7:16 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:56 a.m., 8:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:11 a.m., 7:34 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:38 a.m., 9:01 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:45 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:23 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:32 a.m., 3:55 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.