• We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm today, mainly between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m., with a high temperature near 76 degrees and a southwest wind 10 to 15 miles per hour, becoming northwest in the afternoon. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch are possible. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 48. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 66 degrees, and Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 72.
• Local leaders on the South Fork began quantifying the need for affordable housing decades ago, but without the resources to put a dent in the thousands of local people looking for the vital foothold of their own places to live, those numbers can seem irrelevant. But if ballot measure asking voters to approve new Community Housing Funds this Nov. 8 in East Hampton, Southampton, Southold and Shelter Island are approved, we could soon be seeing some real change. Read more of our coverage of this important local issue.
• North Fork Audubon Board Member Ellen Birenbaum, who created the organization’s Berries for Birds program to help sustain birds in the face of diminishing habitat, will give a talk on her work via Zoom this evening at 7 p.m., and share tips on how planting berrying shrubs and trees on your property can provide a food source for migratory and resident birds. Register for this program online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board is slated to discuss the Pine Barrens Society’s “Best of the Rest” campaign and proposed changes to the zoning code regarding front yard restrictions and driveways at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda, and the meeting can be viewed live here.
• Peconic Landing in Greenport is sponsoring a team to walk in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s at the Suffolk County Farm on Saturday, Sept. 24 from 9 a.m. to noon. For more information, visit peconiclanding.org/event/walk-to-end-alzheimers.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:20 a.m., 8:40 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:28 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Greenport: 8:57 a.m., 9:17 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:42 a.m., 9:59 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:52 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:19 a.m., 10:39 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:26 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:22 a.m., 7:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:31 a.m., 5:41 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:59 a.m., 9:17 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:07 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Greenport: 9:36 a.m., 9:54 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:25 a.m., 10:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:31 a.m., 9:49 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:58 a.m., 11:16 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:05 a.m., 11:23 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:06 a.m., 8:14 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:15 a.m., 6:23 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.