• We’re expecting areas of fog before 9 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 79 degrees and a calm wind becoming east 5 to 9 miles per hour in the morning. We’re expecting areas of drizzle and patchy fog after 2 a.m., with increasing clouds overnight and a low around 60. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 79 and Wednesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 78.
• In the summer of 1918, World War I came to the Long Island shore, when the U.S. Navy armored cruiser San Diego, on its way to escort a convoy across the Atlantic, was sunk just off Fire Island, killing six crew members. Now, in preparation for the 100th Anniversary of the sinking, the Navy is searching the sea bottom for clues to help understand what happened that day. Read The Beacon’s full story online here.
• The owner and manager of the Princess Diner in Southampton have been arrested and indicted on charges by the New York State Attorney General that they bilked 13 restaurant workers of more than $82,000 in wages, and Latina justice advocacy groups are hoping the case will give other workers confidence to come forward about workplace abuses. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• A consortium of East Hampton environmental groups is expected to release their Green Guide to this fall’s election and East Hampton Republicans are planning to release the results of their community survey this morning. We’ll have more details as they become available.
• Guild Hall’s JDTLab will present a free staged reading of “Vietnam… Through My Lens by Stu Richel” tomorrow evening, Sept. 26, at 7:30 p.m. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:52 a.m., 2:15 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1 a.m., 1:23 p.m.
Greenport: 2:29 a.m., 2:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:21 a.m., 3:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:24 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:51 a.m., 4:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:58 a.m., 4:21 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:32 a.m., 11:55 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:44 a.m., 3:09 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:52 a.m., 2:17 p.m.
Greenport: 3:21 a.m., 3:46 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:09 a.m., 4:26 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:16 a.m., 3:41 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:43 a.m., 5:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:50 a.m., 5:15 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:19 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.