• Today will be sunny, with a high temperature near 77 degrees and a west wind 6 to 14 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 63. Tuesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 76 and a 40 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2 p.m. Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 70.
• East Hampton Town can now decide whether to close or restrict operations at its municipal airport in Wainscott, after assurances it made to the Federal Aviation Administration decades ago to keep the airport accessible to many aircraft as a consequence of taking FAA grant funding expired on Sept. 26. Read the latest.
• Tonight is the first of a series of candidate forums for Southold Town elections, organized by various North Fork civic associations. The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association is hosting tonight’s forum at 6:30 p.m. at the Mattituck Park District’s Community Room at Veterans Beach. Seating is limited, RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or stay tuned for our coverage later this week. Here’s more info on upcoming debates.
• Suffolk County reported 567 new cases of Covid-19 on Friday, Sept. 24, with 4.1 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 219 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 39 in ICU. The county reported one new fatality, bringing the death toll here to 3,524 people.
• The Greenport American Legion roller rink is hosting a New York Blood Center blood drive tomorrow, Sept. 28 from 1 to 7 p.m. Appointments are recommended, online here.
Today’s high tides on the East End are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:51 a.m., 3:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:59 a.m., 2:21 p.m.
Greenport: 3:28 a.m., 3:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:14 a.m., 4:24 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:23 a.m., 3:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:50 a.m., 5:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:57 a.m., 5:19 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:52 a.m., 1:58 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:01 a.m., 12:07 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.