• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high near 69 degrees and a northeast wind 9 to 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 53. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 72, and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 80.
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association will hold a candidate forum with candidates for Southold Town Supervisor and Southold Town Board this evening at 6:30 p.m. at the Mattituck American Legion at the corner of Pike Street and Wickham Avenue. All are welcome to attend.
• The Eastern Region Helicopter Council has agreed to a public forum on helicopter noise tomorrow evening, Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. at Riverhead Town Hall. This is a time change — the meeting was originally scheduled for 6 p.m. More details are online here.
• Producers of independent television are descending on Greenport for the fourth year in a row next weekend to spotlight a new generation of television writers looking to show off their work. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Beacon’s October print edition is hitting newsstands throughout the East End today. You’ll read many of these stories in print before you read them here! Our print edition funds much of our work, and subscriptions are vital to our continued pursuit of the truth.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Get your own digital copy each week by signing up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:28 a.m., 11:55 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:36 a.m., 11:03 p.m.
Greenport: 12:05 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:43 a.m., 1:06 p.m.
Sag Harbor: Noon
New Suffolk: 1:02 a.m., 1:27 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:09 a.m., 1:34 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:49 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:58 a.m., 9:17 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:21 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:29 a.m., 11:56 p.m.
Greenport: 12:32 a.m., 12:58 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:34 a.m., 1:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:27 a.m., 12:53 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:54 a.m., 2:20 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:01 a.m., 2:27 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:40 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:49 a.m., 10:10 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.