• It will be partly sunny today, with a high temperature near 64 degrees and a northwest wind 7 to 10 miles per hour. It will b mostly clear overnight, with a low around 45. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 68 and Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 71.
• The Shinnecock Tribal Nation Graves Protection Warrior Society is partnering with Sylvester Manor on Shelter Island on an archaeological project to better understand the Afro-Indigenous graveyard at the former plantation. Read More.
• This is bound to be a feisty town election season across the East End, and nowhere more so than in Southold Town, with a fresh crop of candidates who have not yet held town office vying for two spots on the Town Board. Read our coverage of the first in a series of debates this fall.
• East Hampton Town has announced its full ban on the use of gas-powered leaf blowers will be modified for the fall and winter season as of Sept. 20. Gas-powered blowers may be used between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays, and between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturdays now through May 19, 2022, when the full ban goes back into effect. Only homeowners or tenants may use them on their properties on Sundays or holidays, and then only during the hours between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• Suffolk County reported 493 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, Sept. 28, with 4.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 217 people hospitalized with the virus, with 35 of them in ICU. The county reported five new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,535 people.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.