• We’re expecting partly sunny skies today, with a high near 50 degrees and a calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 miles per hour in the morning. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers tonight, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 44. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers before noon Thursday, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 58. Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 54.
• Two weeks after Lilia Esperanza Parra Aucapina’s body was found hanging in the woods just a short walk from her Sagaponack home, her family is now facing a new puzzle: how the police could be treating the death of a vivacious mother as a suicide. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Southold’s school bond vote passed last night in a 257-192 vote. More information on the proposal is online here.
• Southold Town Employees started the holiday season by donating approximately 500 pounds of food to CAST to help replenish the food pantry that serves the entire North Fork. You can also help CAST this holiday season by donating toys at their 311 Front Street location in Greenport or at several banks and food stores on the North Fork. For more information, call 631.477.1717.
• On Dec. 3, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo named the Quogue Historic District as one of 28 properties, resources and districts recommended by the New York State Board for Historic Preservation to the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
• The staff at the Southold Town Recreation Department will gladly forward all children’s mail directly to Santa at the North Pole if you drop your letters off in the red mailbox at the recreation center or mail them to: SANTA CLAUS C/O SOUTHOLD TOWN RECREATION DEPARTMENT P.O. BOX 267 PECONIC NY 11958. To ensure a reply from Santa, letters must be received by Wednesday, December 16. Late arriving letters will not be answered as it does take some time to forward them to the North Pole. They do not want to disappoint any children, so they’re asking you to please mail your letters in a timely manner. Due to the volume of letters received, they are accepting letters from Southold Town residents only. REMEMBER TO INCLUDE A RETURN ADDRESS!
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.